Vice President, Corporate Development
Harpoon Therapeutics is a clinical-stage immunotherapy company located in South San Francisco. Harpoon Therapeutics is a clinical-stage immunotherapy company developing a novel class of T cell engagers that harness the power of the body’s immune system to treat patients suffering from cancer and other diseases. T cell engagers are engineered proteins that direct a patient’s own T cells to kill target cells that express specific proteins, or antigens, carried by the target cells. Using its proprietary Tri-specific T cell Activating Construct (TriTAC®) platform, Harpoon is developing a pipeline of novel TriTACs initially focused on the treatment of solid tumors and hematologic malignancies. HPN217 targets BCMA and is in a Phase 1/2 trial for relapsed, refractory multiple myeloma. HPN328 targets DLL3 and is in a Phase 1/2 trial for small cell lung cancer and other DLL3-associated tumors. HPN536 targets mesothelin and is in a Phase 1/2a trial for cancers expressing mesothelin, initially focused on ovarian and pancreatic cancers. Harpoon has also developed a proprietary ProTriTAC™ platform, which applies a prodrug concept to its TriTAC platform to create a therapeutic T cell engager that remains inactive until it reaches the tumor. The company’s third proprietary technology platform, extended release TriTAC-XR, is designed to mitigate cytokine release syndrome. Harpoon is led by an experienced management team. The company emphasizes a collegial, collaborative environment and has a strong record of scientific innovation, pioneering protein engineering, expertise in tumor immunology and pre-clinical and clinical research. For additional information about Harpoon Therapeutics, please visit www.harpoontx.com.
Harpoon is led by an experienced management team and has raised more than $200 million from leading life science investors. Harpoon has a broad strategic relationship with AbbVie with whom there is a discovery research collaboration, and a license to option HPN217 (BCMA targeting TriTAC) for multiple myeloma. The company emphasizes a collegial, collaborative environment and has a strong record of scientific innovation, pioneering protein engineering, expertise in tumor immunology and clinical research.
Harpoon is seeking a Vice President of Corporate Development. This individual will lead business development activities for Harpoon to support the full range of deal-making activities including search & evaluation, due diligence, negotiation, transaction execution and alliance management. This role report directly to the SVP of Corporate Development will work closely with other management team members on a wide range of corporate activities including competitive intelligence and strategic planning. In addition to strong business acumen, the ideal candidate will possess excellent leadership capabilities, strong interpersonal skills and have a proven track record in interfacing with both internal and external senior company stakeholders.
- Leverage broad industry and academic network to identify new business development opportunities and foster relationships with companies of interest
- Develop and implement BD strategic plan in conjunction with Harpoon’s corporate strategy and goals (with SVP Corp Dev and Senior leadership)
- Develop and maintain relationships with key partners and decision-makers
- Plan, orchestrate, strategize, and “own” all aspects of business development initiatives and activities including outreach / pitching, diligence, negotiation, and contract execution
- Coordinate diligence efforts including scientific reviews and commercial assessments
- Develop and lead the development of business proposals and the negotiation of term sheets and agreements working with counsel, and utilizing comps, case studies and licensing / M&A valuation models to support your business case
- Work closely with cross-functional leadership and program leaders to align external communication and messaging. Manage external vendors and junior members of the corporate development team (as appropriate)
In the interim, until other key team members / leaders of the team are hired, additional responsibilities may include:
Competitive Intelligence and Commercial Planning
- Provide strategic insights into the product strategy by providing objective, in-depth analyses on current and future markets, standards of care, customers, patient segments, competitors and any critical business issues or opportunities for growth
- Analyze new markets and disease opportunities
- Conduct Commercial strategic assessments in collaboration with cross-functional partners, which may include Market Research, Market Access, Business Development, Finance, and others.
- Conduct competitive intelligence analyses and deliver recommendations on areas of potential platform and product differentiation
- Work with new and existing partners to ensure that Harpoon and our partner(s) achieve our mutual goals in the alliance
- Ensure effective communication and governance; coordinate across both organizations to meet both the letter and the spirit of the alliance governance provisions
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive knowledge of each contract as well as any associated or related contracts
- Identify issues and opportunities and work both internally and with the partner(s) to construct a path forward to address or capitalize on each
- MBA, MD, PhD or PharmD.
- In-depth understanding of drug discovery and development process
- 8-10+ years of relevant experience in biotech or pharmaceutical companies, including successful track record in identifying and evaluating deals and executing transactions, and general deal structure(s) / agreement savvy
- Must have demonstrated experience in the biopharma industry and demonstrated knowledge of oncology indications and products/companies/commercial markets including competitive sets, treatment standards of care, etc. Ideally, previous direct experience in an oncology BD role that includes both search/evaluate and transaction experience
- Expertise in quantitative and qualitative research and analyses, including firm grasp of financial valuation basics and generation of creating preliminary and full business cases
- Strong financial modeling and forecasting skills required. Demonstrated ability to integrate clinical, commercial, and financial assessments with limited supervision
- Capable of managing multiple priorities with limited oversight
- Extensive experience leading and influencing cross-functional teams
- Deep understanding of scientific concepts and drug development process
- Must be an innovative, driven, highly organized self-starter with the ability to handle multiple activities, including prioritization and time management to autonomously manage workload and priorities, and to reprioritize as the situation requires
- Preferred - experience at a Top 5 consulting firm, significant healthcare boutique consulting, investment banking, private equity or venture capital