Senior Manager / Associate Director, Corporate Development
Harpoon Therapeutics is a clinical-stage immuno-oncology company focused on the discovery and development of novel, proprietary T cell engaging biologic products for the treatment of cancer with a focus on solid tumor malignancies. Harpoon’s lead candidate, HPN424, is in clinical development for prostate cancer, and the company expects to begin clinical testing for its second program targeting mesothelin over-expressing tumors, such as lung, pancreatic and ovarian cancers in the near future. Harpoon is led by an experienced management team and has raised more than $200 million from leading life science investors. The company emphasizes a collegial, collaborative environment and has a strong record of scientific innovation, pioneering protein engineering, expertise in tumor immunology and clinical research.
Harpoon is seeking a Senior Manager/Associate Director of Corporate Development. This role reports to the VP of Corporate Development and will work closely with other management team members on a wide range of corporate activities including strategic planning, commercial planning, business development and alliance management. To accomplish your goals, you will draw from a number of sources including market research reports, analyses of primary data, and expert interviews. In addition to strong business acumen, the ideal candidate will possess excellent interpersonal skills and will be comfortable interfacing with both internal and external company stakeholders.
- Works closely with stakeholders in functional areas across the Company (e.g., R&D, Clinical, Finance, Legal etc.) to understand and support the key strategic goals of the Company and their associated partnering / licensing activities
- Manages the research and analysis of moderately complex licensing and acquisition opportunities, including comps, case studies, and licensing/M&A valuation models
- Contributes to deal structuring, term sheet development through financial analysis of economics, and understands licensing contracts to enable structuring and evaluation of partnering opportunities,
- Coordinates due diligence with supervision across multiple functional areas, including research, clinical, regulatory, manufacturing, finance, intellectual property, and legal.
- May support term sheet negotiation, and execution of definitive agreements, with guidance.
- Prepares presentations for senior management and Board, with guidance.
Commercial Planning & Competitive Intelligence
- Provides strategic insights into the product strategy by providing objective, in-depth analyses on current and future markets, standards of care, customers, patient segments, competitors and any critical business issues or opportunities for growth
- Analyzes new markets and disease opportunities.
- Conduct Commercial strategic assessments in collaboration with cross-functional partners which may include Market Research, Market Access, Business Development, Finance, and others.
- Conduct competitive intelligence analyses and delivering recommendations on areas of potential platform and product differentiation.
- Work with new and existing partners to ensure that Harpoon and our partner(s) achieve our mutual goals in the alliance
- Ensure effective communication and governance; coordinate across both organizations to meet both the letter and the spirit of the alliance governance provisions
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive knowledge of each contract as well as any associated or related contracts
- Identify issues and opportunities that are “extra-contractual” and work both internally and with the partner to construct a path forward to address or capitalize on each
- MBA, MD, PhD or PharmD.
- In-depth understanding of drug discovery and development process
- 5+ years of relevant experience in biotech or pharmaceutical companies, including track record in identifying and evaluating deals and executing transactions, and general deal structure(s) / agreement savvy.
- Adequate commercial/market place awareness; especially in oncology including competitive sets, treatment evolution for key tumor types, value drivers • Ideally, previous direct experience in an oncology BD role that includes both search/evaluate and transaction experience
- Expertise in quantitative and qualitative research and analyses, including firm grasp of financial valuation basics and generation of creating preliminary and full business cases.
- Strong financial modeling and forecasting skills required. Demonstrated ability to integrate clinical, commercial, and financial assessments with limited supervision.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to influence and work successfully with varied audiences and executives.
- Must be an innovative, driven, highly organized self-starter with the ability to handle multiple activities, including prioritization and time management to autonomously manage workload and priorities, and to reprioritize as the situation requires.
- Preferred - experience as an Associate at a Top 5 consulting firm, significant healthcare boutique consulting, investment banking, private equity or venture capital